Friday, August 19, 2005

Turtle Ice Cream



TURTLE ICE CREAM

This recipe makes 1 quart of ice cream. If you want 2 quarts, double it.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
1.5 cups pecan halves (5 oz)
3 oz best-quality sweet chocolate, diced**
**(she recommends that you use Lindt Lindor truffles--a 3.5 oz package. If you can't find the truffles, use Lindt Swiss Milk Chocolate or, according to her, "any good milk chocolate is fine, too.")

To prepare:
Place 1/4 cup of water and the sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, and cook over low heat, without stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to high and boil until the sugar turns a warm mahagony or caramel color, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir, but swirl the pan occassionally so the caramel cooks evenly.

Remove the caramel from the heat and carefully pour in the cream. The caramel is very hot, and the mixture will bubble up violently, then solidify. Don't worry. Return it to low heat and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the caramel dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vanilla. Pour into a container and refrigerate until very cold.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roast the pecans on a baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes until crisp. Cool, chop, mix with the diced chocolate and store in the freezer until ready to use.

Freeze the caramel mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions (about 25 minutes). When it is frozen, add the cold chopped pecans and chocolate and mix in completely (about 5 minutes more). Transfer to quart containers and store in the freezer until ready to serve. Unlike other homemade ice creams this recipe stays soft in the freezer, it never hardens completely, but stays very creamy.


Makes one quart of soft, delicious, rich ice cream.
Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Parties Cookbooks
March 2001
recipe from amateurgourmet.com

NOTE: to view original post featuring this recipe click the recipe title at top of page.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I was searching for articles on kitchen utensils when I came across Turtle Ice Cream, which is a bit weird really. I've enjoyed the experience but I'm not at all sure I've found what I'm looking for :0)

Just thought I'd say hello.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've enjoyed my visit to Turtle Ice Cream, but I'm not sure it's what I was looking for. I was actually searching for articles on lessons - these search engines are weird! Just thought I'd say hello while I'm here :0)

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home